– Sony A7R II and Canon 50mm F/1.4 test –
a few days go I got a Canon 50mm F/1.4 USM lens. Used one.
Decided to test it on the Sony A7R II, using the Sigma MC-11 adapter.
Sony A7R II ver 3.30
Sigma MC-11 ver 1.02
Photos from the walk:
Central London, UK
14 June 2017
- very sharp lens
- light (well reasonable light) on Sony A7R II – 290 g
- Reasonably priced (you can get them around 180-190 pounds second hand)
- The combination of Sony A7R II + Sigma Mc-11 + Canon 50mm F/1.4 does not focus perfect all the time. Sometimes it just stop focusing. You need to use the lens switch AF/MF to manual and then back to AF, in order to make it work again. Or help with the manual focus ring and then it will start AF again. Not very convenient.
- For some people using adapter will add to the price and weight
- Quite a lot of CA in the bright light on the high contrast areas of the photos. (at wide apertures)
- My personal opinion – I don’t like the bokeh too much.
P.S. Just updated the firmware on the Sony A7R II to ver 4.0 – will test again and will update if there is any difference.
P.S.2. Tested the combo with the updated camera – the same. Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 AF not working very good. Hunts occasionally and not very reliable.