Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN First impressions
Well, I got a Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN lens – It arrived today and I have no patience to put it on test.
I know that this is APS-C lens, I know it is not intended to be used on a full frame camera, but I was quite curious how it will perform.
In my case Sony A7R II and what will be the difference between Full frame mode and Super 35 mode.
(All photos taken with Sony A7R II and Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN)
In full frame mode: 16mm, 42 MPx (around 30MP usable when you crop the vignetting)
In Super 35 mode: 24mm,18Mpx (enough for most of the cases)
Here are my initial thoughts and images.
In all images the ISO was set to AUTO
Sample of the Super 35mm mode:
Another sample of the Super 35mm mode:
Sample of the Full frame mode:
Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN in Full frame mode heavy crop 13,4 MPx
Samples to see the actual the visual difference between the Full frame 16mm and the Super 35mm (24mm) mode:
And another two:
Here is a sample of the usable resolution and IQ of the photo.
Settings of the photo: F/4, 1/200 and ISO 200
- Overall very pleased with the sharpness
- You can get around 30MP usable image in Full frame mode (when you crop the vignetting)
- Not so heavy as I was expected
- Very close focusing distance
- Well, obviously heavy vignetting when used on Full frame
- Most of the times Auto transform in Lightroom is not working or not working properly when I edit the Full frame image with this lens.
More tests coming soon…
Not bad at all with Sony A6000 as well (wide open at F/1.4):